Saturday, 2 February 2013

Some January county ticks!

Great Northern Diver, Garvel Point, Greenock. January 2013

When I was younger I did a lot of twitching – travelling the country to see rare birds I'd never seen before. These days I'm a bit more sedentary but you never lose the satisfaction that comes with putting a tick against a new species on one of your lists. Therefore, the first month of the new year was notable for me increasing my Renfrewshire/Inverclyde county list by TWO whole species.

This 1st-winter Great Northern Diver was seen about 200m off Garvel Point, Greenock, Inverclyde, on Jan 18. Although it rapidly moved out into the Clyde Estuary, I was able to rattle off a few record shots. This record coincided with a mini-influx to central west Scotland with other GNDs seen from the north shore of the Clyde around Cardross and also a couple that turned up on freshwater at Loch Lomond.

Spotted Redshank, Erskine Harbour, January 2013
The other tick brought in the new year on Jan 01 when I found this winter-plumaged Spotted Redshank with other waders at the roost on the quay at Erskine Harbour, Renfrewshire. The Clyde Estuary doesn't have a great record in attracting scarcer waders, especially in winter, so the Spot Red attracted a decent crowd over coming days. A second individual was quickly discovered and the birds remained to the end of the month and into February.

Mixed wader roost, Erskine Harbour, January 2013
Here's the Spotted Redshank again along with a Common Greenshank, a Dunlin and lots of Common Redshanks. The short daylight hours and generally poor weather in January otherwise limited opportunities to get out and about and add to the Blue Leaf stock library. I've also been busy with university assignments and some deskwork. Here's the best of the rest:

Common Buzzard, Craigmarloch, near Kilmalcolm, Inverclyde. January 2013
Black Guillemot, Port Glasgow, Inverclyde. January 2013
Yellowhammer, Barscube Hill, Renfrewshire. January 2013
Grey Heron, Woodhall, Port Glasgow, Inverclyde. January 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment